Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2011

My Outdoor Kitchen

Since we grow our own vegetables and process so many we always needed an outdoor kitchen.  Along with a grill (and a great husband who cooks) I find we are outdoors more than in.  We never intended for our little lean to over the patio to turn into a kitchen with attached dining room all cozy and screened in, but in time, that is just what happened.  It took years... since 2009 and it is almost complete!  There are a few details that need to be taken care of but it is very usable and extremely enjoyable.  Our garden produced soooo much asparagus this year.  The herbs and lavender were prolific.  It was a summer of great meals.   The evenings were warm.  We relaxed on the patio after a simple but wonderful dinner.  As fireflies began to rise from the cooling grass we turned on the twinkling canopy lights and the party would begin....


Sometimes it was a party just for the two of us.  We pulled out an old record player and put on our oldies.  We danced and were so grateful for the time we had together on a beautiful night.  Sometimes the empty nest is just so gentle and cozy it can be comforting.  Those were special nights.  In the morning we would pull the bouncy horse out on the patio for the grandchildren.  Then the energy would rise and make us grateful for the laughter, the activity, the company.  Life is good here in the country.  The pace suits me.  Soon I will say good bye to summer.  We will cover the fountain, take down the canopy, move the plants in and wait for the leaves to fall.  The pumpkins will come in and the leaves will shame the king's jewels.  The children will choose their costumes for Halloween.  Plans for the big turkey dinner started in the garden when we were putting up vegetables for just this time.  I am always late with my post because I want so much to absorb every golden minute that I procrastinate coming to the computer.  The cold nights will drive me indoors and I will reminisce.  Then I will pull out the decorations for winter, the list for Thanksgiving.


No comments:

Post a Comment